Thursday, December 23, 2010

Losing our innocence


I ran into a friend yesterday from high school and as we spoke a feeling of sadness come over me. Her mannerisms, voice and tones reeked of misery, tiredness, and a failed spirit. I realized that this person, who was so filled with joy and innocence, 10 years ago, had lost that sparkle in her eyes, and it made me wonder. I started thinking back to high school and all the people who were so happy go lucky, and who are now sad, bitter, different, used, lost. It was all so simple then, the song comes to mind. Where does our innocence go… out the door I suppose with failed relationships, mothers without fathers, fathers without mothers, cheating, lying, poverty, the reality that the streets aren’t paved with gold… And it saddened me for I too lost that chipper spirit, that carefree floating in the meadows feeling. And I wonder, if we can ever find those fields again, or are we all doomed to paved streets, no green, no trees in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment